Modifying your Runbook
After clicking complete in the previous step, the runbook inventory file (.csv) is created. Navigate to this file and open with your preferred spreadsheet editor.
Identify and delete the rows for the VMs that you do not want to migrate -or- define their RunGroup value as -1 (which is also the default in template) to instruct the automation tool to skip processing a VM.
For VMs you wish to include in your runbook tasks, you must assign a positive integer value. VMs with the same value will execute in the same group. Groups are executed in ascending order. For example, if you have RunGroup 200 with 3 VMs and RunGroup 400 with 2 VMs, the RunGroup 200 will execute first. When that RunGroup is completely finished, RunGroup 400 will begin.
There are many other fields you can edit and modify (or add, if desired) to the runbook.
Important note: when using runbooks to migrate to GCP, all values must be in lowercase (even boolean values). There are some cases where operations will fail solely because values are in all caps.
The following fields are always required to be populated:
- RunGroup: Grouping of VMs that will be migrated. VMs in the same group will be migrated in parallel, VMs in different groups will be migrated sequentially in order (lowest group number to highest). A negative value means skips the row.
- If migrating from on-prem VMware, this is the inventory path or VM ID.
- If migrating from AWS, this is the AWS instance ID.
- BlockOnFailure: If set to TRUE and an action fails, the automation tool stops and the subsequent RunGroups are not executed. The default value is FALSE.
Required for RunInCloud, FullMigration, OfflineMigration:
- OSLicense (can be empty)
- You can use Velostrata's Rightsizing feature to assist with this. For more information click here.
- TargetStaticIP (can be empty)
- GcpNetworkTags (can be empty or removed from CSV)
- All the “tag:…” columns (can be empty or removed from CSV)
Required for FullMigration, OfflineMigration:
Used by RunInCloud, Detach (a valid number must be always present):
- When performing on-prem to cloud migrations, for WriteIsolation user can select either TRUE or FALSE (write-back mode).
- When performing cloud-to-cloud migrations, WriteIsolation field is ignored because TRUE is the only option. Write-back is not supported in cloud-to-cloud migrations currently.
Below is a list of all the additional fields that are officially supported by the runbook. You are free to add other custom fields for informational purposes only as well.
ProbeTCPPort: TCP port to probe the VM on. This field is always zero and can be changed.
- NOTE: The port should be accessible on the target GCP instance when running the automation tool.
- ProbeWaitMinutes: Number of minutes to wait for the port probe to respond, after which the probe check will be considered to have failed. The default is 0 minutes (no wait).
- VmID: ID of the source VM.
- SourceCloudDetails: The source cloud to migrate from.
- OsType: VM OS.
- OsLicense: VM license.
- NumCPU: Current number of CPUs of the source VM.
- MemoryMB: Current memory size of the source VM.
- NumDisks: Current number of disks of the source VM.
- ProvisionedSpaceGB: Total allocated storage space for the VM.
- TargetCloudExtensionName: Velosrata cloud extension name to be used for cloud migration.
- TargetEdgeNode: Edge node to run the VMs in the cloud, use NodeA or NodeB.
- TargetInstanceType: Instance type of the VM that will be created in cloud, for example, n1-standard-1.
- TargetInstanceName: If the AWS instance has a Name tag, its value is normalized according to the GCP naming limitations (lower case, and so on) and used. Otherwise the AWS instance ID is used.
- TargetSubnet: Subnet ID to be used by the instance in the cloud. An empty field means that the default subnet will be selected (as specified in the Cloud Extension creation). For example, https://www.googleapis.com/compute/v1/projects/<project ID>/regions/europe-west1/subnetworks/<subnet name>
- TargetStaticIP: A static IP to assign to the instance in the cloud.
- TargetPublicIP: A public IP to assign to the instance in the cloud.
- Ephemeral: Whether or not to assign an ephemeral IP address (FALSE/TRUE).
- GcpNetworkTags: The VM network tags. If this field is empty, then no tag will be added to the instance. If the default CE checkbox is marked on runbook creation, then the default tag will be populated in the csv and added to the instance.
- GcpDiskType: For the PrepareToDetach operation only. Standard or SSD.
- tag[name] and tag[value]: A column is added for every tag found on the AWS instances, except for Velostrata reserved tag names ("name", "managedbyvelostrata", "managedbyvelostratachangetime", "cloudextension", "vcenter", "originvmid", "velostrataapplianceaddresses", "velostratavmid"). The tag names and values are normalized to GCP naming limitations.
These fields are for informational purposes only and will be ignored by the runbook:
- *all columns added* as a result of Right-sizing recommendations