The Velostrata Cloud-to-Cloud functionality simplifies the migration of VMs from cloud-to-cloud. In this version, the Cloud-to-Cloud operations support migrating VMs from AWS to GCP.
During migration of an instance from AWS to GCP, Velostrata takes ownership of the instance disks at AWS. At the end of the process the original AWS instance will remain intact and powered off.
The following operations are supported when moving from AWS to GCP:
- Run in Cloud
- Storage Migration
- Move back
- Prepare to detach
Note: During cloud-to-cloud migrations, the VMs will be moved in write isolation mode, which means the data is not synchronized between AWS and GCP during the migration.
- Credentials with the same roles/permission as VMWare to AWS.
- Subnet with connectivity to GCP.
- Instances to migrate.
- Cloud Extension in GCP.
- GCP Windows license:
- GCP requires the version of Windows to be specified on its instances. AWS does not provide this information.
- Velostrata uses windows-server-2012-r2-dc as a default value. The license may also be manually specified in the move to cloud request (and in RunBook). For example: https://www.googleapis.com/compute/v1/projects/windows-cloud/global/licenses/windows-server-2008-r2-dc.
- CloudDetails object with information required to access the source cloud and create the Velostrata worker service accounts when migrating instances from source to target cloud.